Journal Special Issue on Valérian et Laureline
Call for Papers: Journal Special Issue on Valérian et Laureline
We are looking for contributors to a special issue of European Comic Art themed on Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières’s Valérian et Laureline science-fiction comic series.
The issue aims to redress the relative paucity of recent scholarship devoted to the stories.
The issue will be published in 2025 (vol. 18.1) and completed articles of between 6 and 7,000 words in English will be due in March 2024.
Simon Bréan (Sorbonne Université) is an invited contributor to the issue.
Articles could deal with, but are not limited to :
· the comic artform or genre;
· stylistic and visual considerations;
· character studies and development;
· the depiction of gender,
· the environment and other nonhuman entities;
· race, colonialism, empire;
· the evolution of a specific element across the four decades of publication;
· world-building and/or contributions to science fiction as a genre;
· a comparison between the bandes dessinées and Luc Besson’s 2017 movie;
· a case study of a story or album.
If you are interested in contributing, please submit a 400-word abstract to both co-editors of the special issue by February 1, 2023:
Christina Lord (email@example.com) and Paul Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.