The Chair for Comparative Studies in Medieval Literature (Juniorprofessur für Mediävistische Komparatistik) at Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU), Germany, is inviting applications for a
Researcher Position (Doctoral Researcher).
The contract will start on 1 March 2024 and will be fixed term for an initial period of three years. The doctoral researcher position is part time (0.5 FTE). Remuneration will be based on the collective agreement for the public service of German federal states (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst der Länder, TV-L).
The successful applicant will be predominantly involved in the following tasks:
· Writing an academic monograph (doctoral thesis)
· Teaching two contact hours per week at the Institute of Modern Languages and/or the Institute of German Philology
· Participating in the research and teaching projects of the Chair
The following qualifications are required:
· An above-average university degree in at least one of the following fields: Romance Studies, German Studies, English Studies (MA, state examination or equivalent) with a medieval focus
· An interest in comparative approaches and ideally initial experience in this field (e.g. through term papers, theses)
· Knowledge of at least one medieval vernacular language (Old/Middle French, Old/Middle High German, etc.) and the willingness to familiarise yourself with an additional language
· Good reading skills in modern German, English and French would be an asset
Severely handicapped applicants will be given preferential consideration in the case of broadly equal suitability, ability and professional achievements.
Please email (preferred) or mail your convincing application and supporting documents (two-page outline of the proposed doctoral project, a work sample, e.g. in the form of your Bachelor's or Master's thesis, curriculum vitae) to JProf. Dr. Carlotta Posth. The closing date for applications is 1 January 2024.
Juniorprofessur für Mediävistische Komparatistik
Please do not send any original documents to us; only send photocopies. As we need to save costs, we will not be able to return your documents to you. They will be shredded shortly after a hiring decision has been made. If you enclose a postage-paid return envelope, we will return your application documents to you three months after a hiring decision has been made.