[NdlR : appel en anglais, mais dossiers acceptés en anglais ou en français]
As part of our current research project in the field of comparative medieval encyclopaedism, we are pleased to announce the availability of 2 fellowships (1 doctoral and 1 post-doctoral) to highly qualified scholars.
The research project:
‘Speculum Arabicum: Objectifying the contribution of the Arab-Muslim world to the history of sciences and ideas: the sources and resources of medieval encyclopaedism’ (http://www.uclouvain.be/419390.html) is a project which seeks to explore medieval encyclopaedism in the East and the West in order to provide unbiased information and quantifiable benchmarks that can help us better understand the extent of what Europe owes to the scholars of Islam. The comparative study of encyclopaedias in Islam, Byzantium, the Latin and the Romance-speaking West has been at the core of our investigations ever since our group ‘Cyclopes’ was founded in 2003. The current project will run until at least 2017. In addition to five topics of inquiry that have been specifically defined for PhD students and post-doctoral fellows (3 of them already appointed), the project includes, among other activities, a yearly seminar and the participation in at least one international conference on issues at the heart of the present investigation.
A detailed presentation of the two topics for which the present announcement is made is found on http://www.uclouvain.be/419390.html, namely:
1) ‘Between the East and the West: the sources and scopes of the Byzantine Suda (10th C.)’ (PhD; supervisor: F. Van Haeperen)
2) ‘A comparison of the Oriental and Occidental traditions with respect to the Wonders of the Word’ (Post-doc; supervisor: G. de Callataÿ)
The fellowship for doctoral research ("Suda") is for a 45-month tenure, to start in October 2013. The net monthly allowance for PhD students amounts to c. 1,500-1,700 euros. The fellowship for post-doctoral research ("Wonders") is for a 24-month tenure, to start in October 2013. The net monthly allowance for post-doc fellows amounts to 2,000-2,300 euros. Applicants for these fellowships should not have stayed or worked in Belgium for more than 24 months during the three years that precede the appointment. They should not have obtained their PhDs more than 6 years prior to this appointment. The deadline for applications is 15 June 2013. As full-time employments, it is implied that the recipients will reside in Belgium during the entire tenure of the respective fellowships (both doctoral and post-doctoral).
How to apply?
Applications should be made electronically at the following address: email@example.com. They should include:
· An up-to-date CV (in English or French), including a full list of publications (no published or ready-to-be-published material should be sent).
· The name and address, with email address, of 2 (for the doctoral fellowship) or 3 (for the post-doctoral fellowship) scholars of international reputation that we may address to obtain a reference.
· A letter of motivation (in English or French, maximum 5 pages in all) in relation with one of the above-defined topics of inquiry, containing the following elements: 1) an outline of the proposed research, expounding as clearly as possible the plan, method and aim of the research project; 2) an exposition of the reasons why the applicant believes he/she has the appropriate qualifications for conducting this particular research and for completing it in due time; 3) the applicant’s view on how he/she conceives of his/her own interaction with the other fields of inquiry and with the project as a whole. Applications not related to the above-defined topics will not be considered.
Receipt of each fully completed application will be acknowledged as soon as possible. Final decision and notification of results are expected for 15 July 2013.
Please feel free to diffuse the present announcement as widely as possible.
ARC: Speculum Arabicum
http://www.uclouvain.be/419390.html Institut INCAL
Collège Erasme, Faculté de Philosophie, Arts et Lettres
Place Blaise Pascal, 1
Godefroid de Callataÿ (FIAL/INCAL)
Baudouin Van den Abeele (FIAL/INCAL)
Mattia Cavagna (FIAL/INCAL)
Françoise Van Haeperen (FIAL/ INCAL)